Cookware Hack 101: Can You Use Cast Iron On A Glass Top Stove?
Cooking through cast-iron has always been an enjoyable task. It can finely manage the heavy kitchen tools when it comes to using cast iron on a glass top stove.
The big question: Can you use cast iron on a glass top stove?
Well, though it might sound like a great mistake, believe me, it is not. Let’s see in-depth research about the use of a cast iron on a glass top stove and can you use cast iron skillets on a glass top stove?
What Is a Glass-Top Stove?
- A glass stovetop is the most desirable cookware for serious home cooks in most homes in the USA.
- It offers a chef the facility to manage the levels of heat essential for serious cooking.
- A glass-top stove is also known as the most favorite versions of the electric stovetop.
- It comes with a flat cooking surface made of glass.
- The sleek and modern look of a glass-top stove attracts many people.
What types of pans are best for glass top stoves?
According to the experts, the uneven and heavy-bottomed pans are not ideal for glass top stoves. But it does not mean that you cannot use a cast iron on a glass top stove. Indeed you can use a cast iron pan on the glass stovetop if there are enough precautions.
So can you use a cast iron skillet on a glass top stove?
One of the best materials used for manufacturing pans is stainless steel. It is durable, affordable, and great looking. Also, the smooth surface makes it ideal for use on a glass stovetop.
Besides, the stainless steel is face to use with any food items because there is no reaction with an acidic material. Furthermore, you can use a cast iron on a glass top stove as well.
The cast-iron pans are heavier enough, and the glass stovetops being highly fragile. So it needs a little care when you want using cast iron on electric glass top stove. However, being cautious of it provides it a right swipe.
The Real facts about a cast iron pan on a glass-top stove:
- If you become a bit careful about using a cast iron pan on a glass-top stove, the possibilities of being scratched in the burner would be very rare. Besides, you need to ensure that the kitchenware is not gliding around.
- They are known as the most worthy and reliable items to be used in the kitchen tops of any category.
- The cast iron can manage the heat evenly as like as the available ones.
- Cast iron pans have been around the culinary world for long since. Modern family, more or less, relies on it.
The Misconception of Using a Cast Iron on a Glass-Top Stove:
The common mistakes of using a cast iron on a glass-top stove are given below:
- This kitchen tool baldly unfolded when cooling during the manufacturing process and stops it from sitting flat.
- Some companies like to add an excellent ring that enables to sit the pan flat but lifts it off the stove a little.
- It builds the ring, the only thing dealing with the stove.
- The significant mistakes about cast iron pan & the glass-top stove are that the pan has to be in full holding state with the glass for an even heat.
6 Tips for Cooking with Cast Iron:
1. Know how to manage the heat:
Cast iron takes a bit of time to heat up, and because it does, you will find frequently hot areas in the skillet. The more you cook; you will get better results when it comes to adjusting cooking time.
The cast iron keeps the heat very well once it becomes hot. Also, you will find this pan is slow to cool. It is essential for meals you need to keep warm when serving.
2. Do not slide:
Always when it comes to using cookware on a glass-top stove, lift and move the pan rather than gliding it. This will reduce the possibility of scratching the glass. Also, dragging pan over a cooktop can scratch the surface.
3. Not for kids:
The cast-iron skillet is not for kids because it is heavy and becomes very hot during the cooking time. So, keep your child safe from a hot cast iron pan on a glass cooktop.
4. Drying is Essential:
You must dry the cast iron pans before storing them to make sure that they do not rust. Dry your cast iron well by using a clean dish towel after washing.
You can simply put your pan on a warm oven to make it thoroughly dry. Also, you can set the pan over a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes.
It is recommended to choose a pan size about 1” larger than the stove.
6. Protect the Seasoning:
You should not use the harsh detergents that can remove the seasoning on your cast iron pan. When you clean the pan, keep things easy. You can use a natural brush or a sponge and warm water to clean it.
Soaking in warm water also helps to loosen the stuck-on dirt. According to the USA cast iron manufacturer, the mild detergent is suitable for cleaning your cast iron skillet.
The Downsides of Using Cast Iron on Glass Top Stoves
1. The Weight of Cast Iron skillet:
The weight of a cast-iron pan is indeed higher than any other type of modern skillet. The weight will be more when you add to soup or water.
Putting this heavy pan on a glass stove puts a lot of pressure on it. So there might be a chance to crack and break the glass stove if it cannot tolerate the weight.
2. Flat Bottoms
A flat bottom pans and pots are a must-have item when it comes to distributing the heat evenly. Most often, the cast iron pan comes with an uneven bottom surface. So, the most cast-iron skillet is not ideal for glass stove.
3. Rough Finish
Most often, the cast iron comes with a raw finish. So you need to ensure that the pan you choose is coated with porcelain enamel.
Nevertheless, choosing a stainless steel pan is the best option for a glass top stove. You need to avoid aluminum because this kind of container leaves a spot to your shiny glass top burner.
4. Induction Cooktops
The glass top burner is designed with modern technology to generate heat immediately.
So, real cooktop does not get too hot. Nevertheless, this occurs if you use magnetic on an induction cooking unit. Cast-Iron pans need a high temperature for better cooking.
I hope you get the necessary information about Can you use cast iron on a glass top stove or not? Using cast iron on a glass top stove is possible with care.
So can you use cast iron pans on a glass top stove?
However, it is recommended to purchase a skillet that is ideal for placing on a glass top stove.
Thanks for staying with us. Have you any questions; please share your thoughts by leaving a comment below?